Wondering how strong your dental veneers are? The short answer is that they are strong, but you need to protect them. Keep reading to learn how.
First, what are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are also called dental veneers or dental porcelain laminates. A dental veneer is a thin, tooth-colored material that bonds to the front of your teeth.
When Do Dentists Use Porcelain Veneers?
At Pennino Family Dentistry in Barrington, IL, we apply these high-tech veneers to improve the appearance of teeth.
- Worn teeth can be lengthened
- Chipped or broken teeth can be capped
- Gap-toothed smiles can be filled in
- Permanently discolored teeth can be whitened
“Many people are understandably self-conscious about their teeth,” said Chase Pennino, DDS, of Pennino Family Dentistry. “When we apply porcelain veneers, we not only enhance their appearance, we can give them back their smile and instill more confidence.”
Dr. Pennino explains that the veneers are strong and resist stains.
“They can last up to 15 years if well cared for,” says Dr. Pennino.
Still, he cautions that it’s important to follow certain precautions to protect your dental veneers.
How Do You Care for Your Porcelain Veneer?
Do’s for Porcelain Veneers
- Brush your teeth after every meal
- Do floss daily
- See your family dentist every six months (or as recommended)
- If you clench or grind your teeth at night, call us for a custom nightguard
- Do use a gentle (nonabrasive) toothpaste
- If you have a nightguard, wear it
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing contact sports like football, polo, soccer, or rugby
- Call us if you have toothache pain, even if it goes away
Don’ts for Porcelain Veneers
- Don’t use your teeth to open bags or bottles (like the Three Stooges)
- Avoid beverages (red wine, coffee, tea) that will stain your natural teeth leaving your whiter veneers to stand out
- Similarly, don’t use activated charcoal toothpaste
- Don’t bite into hard candies, chew ice cubes, or bite into other hard foods
With good care your strong porcelain veneers will last a long time.