At Pennino Family Dentistry, We Recommend Dental Sealants. Here’s Why…
As your dentist in Barrington, we always have your, and your family’s, best interest in mind. It’s our job to help you keep healthy – in body and smile – and all of us at Pennino Family Dentistry take this very seriously. With a preventive view in everything we do, our goal is to intercept oral health issues before they happen … to keep you smiling.
Prevention includes (but is not limited to):
- Regular Checkups – We’ll schedule your regular dental recall appointments according to your level of health. Here’s what we’ll do at your recall visit:
- Check your gum health – We’ll always take a look at your gums and check their color, the pocket depths, how well they support your teeth, if there’s any infection (gingivitis or early gum disease and/or periodontitis or advanced gum disease)
- Check your tooth health – Do you have any chips, cracks, or decay? And if so, how do we fix the damage to prevent further deterioration and pain and restore function and beauty?
- Ensure restorations are sound – Restorations such as crowns, fillings, bridges, and bonding don’t last forever. We’ll make sure everything is working as it should so that your smile health isn’t compromised.
- Education – If we see any problem areas, we’ll explain the cause and explain why repair is necessary. We’ll also discuss with you a proposed treatment so that together, we can intercept any future damage or further unnecessary damage.
Aside from regular checkups, one of the most-simple things you can do for your oral health – besides keeping an excellent home care routine of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day – is to consider dental sealants for yourself and your children.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are a very thin liquid plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of your teeth (usually the molars and premolars) to protect them from decay-causing bacteria. Because it’s applied in liquid form, sealants seep into the deep pits and fissures on the tooth surface, creating a protective shield over the enamel. The sealant is applied like paint and is completely comfortable. There’s no need for anaesthetic as it’s completely painless – in fact, you practically won’t feel a thing.
Dental sealants are ideal for:
- Children who are unable to brush their teeth effectively
- Anyone who keeps a less-than-ideal homecare routine – ideal for toddlers, children, teens, adults, and seniors – there are no restrictions!
- Patients who have mobility challenges and find it difficult to brush using the proper technique or for the recommended length of time
- Those suffering from dementia and whose oral hygiene is irregular, whether due to memory or to an unpredictable routine
- People with naturally deep pits and fissures in their molars. (Did you know that everyone’s teeth shape is unique? Just as unique as your fingerprints? Even identical twins don’t have identical teeth.)